Sunday, February 14, 2010

House Centipedes

Isn't he cute? Occasionally, I find one of these in our bathroom, maybe once every six weeks to two months or so. So I find out there's such a thing as house centipedes, that can live an entire life-span, 3-7 years, in a dwelling. It can lay 63 eggs, and likes damp places, dark places, and here I used to think they were coming in from outside. But when I found one last week, I knew this creature hadn't come in from outside when it had been 10 degrees. Anyway, you can spray to get rid of them, though they really don't cause any harm. They're more frightening than they look.

I used to kill them with Raid, but I like to see them die on the spot. With just a little squirt, they go crawling off, and I don't know where they are when they die, or even if they die. For all I know they may nurse their wounds and live another 6 years. It takes a heck of a lot of Raid to see them die right then and there. Usually I step on them (yes, I'm that brave.) Although one of them put up such a fight he threw me off balance. Really! He knocked be against the bathroom wall and I hit my head and had to get stitches. So I'm thinking about putting one of Bobby's varmint traps in the bathroom and catching them that way. I need to decide what I'll use for bait.

3 comments:

Judith Bowman said...

Ack! ML, did you really bump your head and get stitches?

By the way, I know a little girl who would let that critter crawl along her arm, give it a kiss and reluctantly put it down, wishing it a good journey...

Go ahead - try it.

I've read that the darn creatures are harmless and are fearless hunters of spiders, termites and all manner of other little creatures taht could be in the house. I try to think of that if I see a centipede, then in pops the image of one crawling on me at night - and out comes the Raid.

Connie said...

sure is a ungly little creation, be careful sounds like it all most got you. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I was just being silly - I didn't get stitches. I'm not the strongest person in the world, but I can overcome a centipede, even these giant ones. But Connie, above, commented, and I clicked on her, and she's a quilter, and one of these things had better not crawl on one of my quilts!!!