Monday, June 21, 2010

My Past Sewing Days

I had already finished this blog when I was putting my photos back in the albums and ran across this one, and realized I'd made this two-piece dress also, so added it as an after-thought. I made it in 1978 to wear to Mark and Terri's wedding, which is where this picture was taken.
I started thinking about my past sewing days and wondering why I quit, and still can't lay my finger on why, but found some things in the albums that I'd made. Apparently I had a fondness for sunsuits. Mark and Kevin especially had them out of every fabric under the sun. And when the weather turned cold, I used the same pattern, but with long legs, and made overalls. And don't you love that hat on Mark. You can tell by the look on Dot's face that she'd never seen a cuter child in her life. Next is the infamous First Communion suit. Dot made the suit, me the vest. And the only problem was it wasn't navy blue, which really wasn't a problem at all. Shut up, Brian. Then there were pajamas and robes, all of the same patterns, just various fabrics. I made the ones Mark and Kevin are wearing, and the robes they're wearing, but not the ones Bobby and Brian are wearing. The albums are full of p.j.'s I made. And dig this crazy dazy curtains from sheets that hung in our bedroom. Now that's a restful pattern for a bedroom, isn't it? Yep, my handiwork - I'm owning up to it.

I think it's the angle that makes these jackets look small, because I know they fit. But still, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Still, what cute little boys, no matter what their mom dressed them in.


A few things I made for myself: a dark print



sundress that I wore constantly. A two piece flowered top and blue slacks - when polyester



was popular. A red print blouse and red slacks



that I also liked and wore a lot; a pink dress that I think zipped up the back. One think I notice in going through the album - on Christmas and Christmas Eve, Easter, etc, I was always in a dress and heels. A beach cover up for Myrtle Beach in



1984; and a plaid dress, buttoned up the front, with a collar, belt, etc. And poor little Brian inherited the jacket and pants. As I look at this photo more closely, I realize I made the shirt Bobby's wearing and it was made out of blue corduroy.
One of the favorite things I ever made is the shirt Mark's wearing. I liked the fabric and I did a good job on it if I do say so myself. And look how cute he is. And of course the clown outfit - how can you go wrong, especially with Brian wearing it. And the little overalls Brian's wearing in this photo. Then the shirts...wasn't bad enough that I made two little ones. I had to make a larger one for Bobby, too. And he was nice enough to actually wear it. Then somewhere along the way I quit this type of sewing and decided I'd rather be quilting. THE END











4 comments:

Brian said...

If I could have worn the clown costume to first communion, that would have been awesome!

Very fun to look at. It reminds me of a Simpson's episode (are you suprised?) where Marge finds a Chanel (sp?) suit at a bargain store. She modifies it a dozen different times to make different outfits in an attempt to impress the women at the country club. I bet if you you made some of those clothes again, you could sell them on Bardstown Road for a pretty penny.

Kevin said...

In that top picture, I look like I've just wandered into another family's photo. I look like I'm not too sure I want to be associated with the rest of you people.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I love your comments, Kevin and Brian.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness....what a great blog entry! I loved the pictures and your descriptions are great. A real trip down memory lane. Then Brian and Kevin's comments topped it all off. I laughed out loud yesterday when I first saw it and again today. Good stuff.
Julie