Friday, July 17, 2009

Name Changes

Yesterday, the Sears Tower in Chicago officially became the Willis Tower. It got me to thinking about all the names that have changed in my lifetime - of streets and highways - too numerous to count; banks - can't even keep up with; in the past few years - Catholic churches and schools; countries - maps having to be redone; airports renamed after presidents, the space center renamed.

I think the street renaming that I remember taking place most was when Walnut became Muhammad Ali Blvd. - I suppose because I worked at Hilliard-Lyons then and all letterhead, business cards, etc. etc. had to be reprinted and such. And it was one of the main downtown arteries, and 4th & Walnut sounds so much better than 4th & Muhammad Ali Blvd.

And of course, people change last names, sometimes when they marry, sometimes for other reasons. And our own Brian let us know about 20 years ago he no longer wanted to be "B.J.," but to start calling him Brian.

Also our local baseball team used to be the Redbirds, now they're the Bats. Is there a local or national landmark change that anyone thinks never should have taken place?

3 comments:

Kevin said...

College bowl games come immediately to mind. The Peach Bowl sounded a lot better than the Chic-fil-A Bowl. And stadiums-Candlestick Park became 3com Park. But I guess corporate naming rights are inevitable to get the money. I'm bothered more by renaming things after relatively minor politicians; the Gene Snyders and Romano Mazzolis of the world may be good people but they don't need stuff named for them.

Bad Bob said...

Jeez, the YUM Kentucky Derby?

Bad Bob said...

Or my personal favorite: Negroes, Blacks, African-Americans