Sunday, August 29, 2010

Tattered Clothing


I've known for a long time that I have a tendency to hold on way too long to some articles of clothing. Shoes that I especially like, I've worn until the leather soles actually cracked and my feet got wet on a rainy day - time to toss but not until then. About a month ago I was shopping in a consignment shop, wearing a blouse that I'd worn for years. Many, many, many years. It looked fine to me when I put it on. While shopping the lady working in the store asked me if I knew my blouse was town in the back. No, I said I didn't realize. I searched the racks of blouses for a blouse to buy and couldn't find one I liked. I had, however, found a really cute yellow skirt, but that wasn't helping the blouse situation. I headed for home after purchasing the skirt and was horrified at the state of my blouse in the back. It was in shreds in about four places. Big rips and shreds. And I'd already been to Margarets Consignment. So after that, I tossed a jacket I've worn for about 15 years with the sleeves tattered and torn. (I really liked it) And yesterday I threw out a white tee where the fabric was awfully thin in places. (It was a favorite, also) Some things I pitch at the drop of a hat; others, not so easily) But I'm going to definitely be more careful hereonout.

4 comments:

Judith Bowman said...

For real-real-real, Mary Lynn? I can't imagine you wearing anything 'tattered!' (Love the picture).

KimT said...

1. What Mom said
2. I know people (and so do you) that keep clothes WAY longer than you do.
3. How did you get a picture of Mark's underwear?

Mark said...

Hee hee, Kim.
Mom, when we were looking at quilts at the fair, I had a great idea: Someone should make a quilt out of old cut-up white T-shirts, primarily using stained under arms. No one would ever want to use it, but boy would it be a conversation piece! And a bet some fancy New York art collector would pay a lot of money for it.

Mary Lynn's Blog said...

I can't imagine putting all that work into a "stained underarm" t-shirt quilt. Got any other bright ideas, Mark? and I really think that blouse I wore wasn't actually ripped when I put it on or I'd have noticed it. But ripped after it was on, it was so thin.