Tuesday, March 31, 2009

April 3, '74 tornado

This is my best recollection. Dad told me Kevin has his tornado blog on here and I haven't read it yet, so I'll write mine and we'll see if they are the same. Of course, we've talked over the years about it, so there shouldn't be much difference.
To the best of my recollection, that afternoon, Mark, Kevin and I were out in the front yard because Mark and Kevin were playing with toys on the driveway. And Jason Olson, the next-door neighbor was here, too, playing with Mark and Kevin. I was talking to Jason's mother, Linda. I don't remember exactly why we went in the house...maybe word of an approaching storm? Threatening looking sky? Because I don't remember it really storming really a lot right here on Goddard. But I do know Mark, Kevin and I went to the basement. Dad was at work. (We didn't know Brian yet..he probably would have wanted to sit on the porch and watch the storm come roaring in) I had the radio on and never once heard a tornado warning. I remember going up the basement steps and looking out the hallway door and seeing the greenest sky and clouds I'd ever seen, coming back into the basement and thinking someone was getting a heck of a storm because I'd never seen such a green sky out my back door. And of course, it turns out that was right in the Bardstown Road area, Audubon Park area, etc., not far away. But as far as the three of us, I think we stayed in the basement for awhile, but I don't remember hunkering down or anything like that.
Now I'll read Kevin's blog and see what he remembers.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I seem to you going up and down the stairs a few times to look out the screen door. But again I may be confusing memories. My memories may come from a storm warning in 1976 or something. But I don't think so. I think I even remember you talking about the sky, etc. But that also may be from hearing it over the years.

Anonymous said...

I share that day with you folks on my blog. Also, that was BB. Before Beth and Brian.